7 Steps to get a 1 year ED visa in Phuket
Sat 8 Sep 2018 by Carina
Many foreigners in Phuket, who are getting tired of regular visa runs, have post the question: “Is there a way to stay in Phuket long-term, without a work permit?” Because, work permits are as hard to come by these days.
The good news is that the answer is yes. You can stay in Phuket for up to 1 year on an Education visa (a.k.a. ED visa) and learn a new language while doing so. Most foreigners learn Thai but there are other language options such as French, German, Chinese,
Here are 7 steps to get one:
1) Determine your reason for wanting an ED visa. Bear in mind that employment on this visa is not allowed
2) Find a school that will meet your needs and choose a language that you want to learn. There are a variety of language schools in Phuket, i suggest to pick an established school
3) Apply at the school. The most common requirements are a copy of your passport, some passport size photographs, proof of residence and the school fees. You can actually do this from outside of Thailand with some schools.
4) Once you have applied, choose your option for obtaining a visa. You can either leave Phuket and go the Thai embassy or consular in one of the neighbouring countries, or you can pay an extra fee and have your visa processed at the Phuket Immigration Office. (Please contact the school in detail)
Phuket Immigration Website
5) Once your visa is processed, you can start your language lessons.
6) You need to report to Immigration every 90 days. Some schools do this for you, others expect you to do it yourself, and still others charge a fee for it. Make sure you
understand the process for your specific school.
7) Say goodbye to visa runs and enjoy your time in Phuket for up to 1 year. After a year, it is possible can renew your visa.
Fun activites in Patong & Phuket 2018 November
While an ED visa is the ultimate ticket to learn Thai or another language, all study and no play sure makes Jack a dull boy. It is time to put away those books and pencils, and head out to explore what Phuket has in store for November.
Carnival anybody? Yes, that’s right! Patong Beach will host the annual Phuket Carnival from 1 – 5 November 2018, complete with parades, live entertainment and scrumptious food. As an added bonus, world class DJ Tiesto will also be spinning the decks at Illuzion on the 3rd! So, get your fiesta on and head out to this not-to-be-missed event. Rove Me Patong Carnival
Fancy something sportier? You are in luck, because there are 3 events coming up. First is the Open Swim League on the 3rd of November. Following that is the Colour Fun Run which takes on the 10th – 11th of November, and you can register at http://phukethon.com/en/registration/. Both events will be held at Thanyapura in Thalang. Lastly you can join the LPT Charity Fun Run on the 17th and 18th, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of the Phuket Laguna Triathlon. It takes place at Laguna and some of the proceeds will go to the Children First Fund charity.
Prefer something more authentic from the Land of Smiles to float your boat, err… basket? The annual Loy Krathong festival is scheduled for the 23rd of November at Saphan Hin, where you can make a traditionally decorated basket or krathong, which will later be floated on the water under the full moon.
In the mood for helping to keep Phuket clean and plastic free? Regular beach clean-up events are organized every month by Trash Hero Phuket https://www.facebook.com/TrashHeroPhuket/ and Clean The Beach Boot Camp https://www.facebook.com/CleanTheBeachBootCamp/ so this is you opportunity to do something nice for the environment and create awareness.
Of course, no outing would be complete without a proper dose of shopping. Central Phuket, sister mall to Central Festival, recently opened its doors to the public as the first tourist destination mall, and boast an array of attractions like Floresta, Tribhum, Aquaria. In layman’s terms, this translates to a forest, adventure theme park and an aquarium. To embark on this this shopping adventure, you can visit http://centralphuket.com/
For these and other events, please visit www.phuket.net and www.phuket.com